Saturday 24 October 2009

Altered 'earts!




I have really enjoyed sitting crafting on this rainy Saturday.  I decided to make something from my lovely stash of blog candy that Hels sent me a few weeks ago, I have felt guilty that I hadn't yet made anything from it.  As I loved the effect that I found out by accident with the embossing powder on my last card I decided to try this again and I absolutely LOVE this effect, so much so I thought it too nice to cover, so decorated the tops instead.  Again I applied three layers of matt gold embossing powder (Heat It Up) and then a bit of Eggplant embossing powder (Heat It UP) and then some ranger gold embossing around the edges and then a layer or two of clear UTEE and lo and behold I started getting this nice effect again.  Maybe it is a well know technique I don't know?  I am going to hang them from my dressing table mirror.I really don't know whether it works on all powders, the "Heat It Up" powders seen very fine, different from e.g. Rangers, I shall try some out.

15 comments:

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Hi, I was blog hopping, when I came across your blog.
Love your hearts! - thanx for sharing how you got the lovely effect on them.
You have made some fabby items!!

My name is Cindy said...

Ooh, that looks rather yummy. I have a few heat it up inkpads they work well for water colour effect stamping - maybe the UTEE makes the ink 'damp' so they merge? Will have to try it out though I don't have the gold and I suspect that that is what gives the lustre.

Christine (All She Crafts) said...

GORGEOUS little hearts! I love that effect, and the string you've hung them on goes brilliantly! I can imagine them hung on a dressing table mirror. Perfect!

Hugs,
Chris xx

P.S. Thanks for the visit & comment.. Hope you find some nice fonts there!

Stephanie said...

Isn't that a luxurious effect? Stunning!! I'd love to be a bit more adventurous :)

Hugs
Steph xxx

Rika said...

These are beautiful!

brenda said...

Loveley 'earts' Carol, really like that mottled effect you have achieved.

B x

Jodi said...

These are very creative! Love the color!
Hugs
Jodi =)

lisa said...

Hi Carol. I too have been blog hopping and stopped by to admire your lovely work. What gorgeous things you make. Your Ikea mirror is just stunning, it must have taken ages and I love your embossed hearts, they'd make a lovely necklace. That mottled effect you've cretaed is just beautiful. I love the way you play with lots of things, a girl after my own heart, although I'm not always brave enough.
I shall be back again, make sure you've got the kettle on!!

Lisax

Vicky said...

gorgeous hearts carol! really stunning!!! (ps... yes, my handbag cards open along the bottom, have an insert and you can write inside.) xx

Inger Marie said...

Wow your littel hearts are beautiful...i love them
Have a wonderful weekend
Hugs

Tonje said...

I was going blogabout when I came across your beautiful blog! The hearts that you made are stunning, but even more did I fall for your altered mirrors! Gosh, they are just amazing!!

Lynn Stevens said...

Hi Carol,
Thank you for your recent visit to my blog and for linking to my giveaway. I will enter you twice!
I Love your earrings by the way! Gorgeous!
hugs Lynn

Laura Haviland said...

Hi Carol,
I love the creative way these turned out,so pretty."Stunning"
I really enjoy your lovely blog.
Hugs, Laura.

Jodi said...

These are gorgeous hearts!! Hope you have a great day!
Hugs
Jodi =)

Susie Jefferson said...

It's a technique I have used for quite a while, but I think it dropped off the radar for some time once the UTEE melt pot came into fashion, so it's nice to see it in action again. I use it for jewellery pieces (nice & light and virtually indestructible). It would also make nice tiles to go around a frame.

Lovely work!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Blog Archive